Lip Lift Surgery
Lip lift surgery, also known as lip augmentation, is a cosmetic procedure designed to elevate the upper lip, creating a fuller and more youthful appearance. Over the years, the lips can lose volume and sag, contributing to an aged or tired look. Lip lift surgery addresses these concerns by shortening the distance between the base of the nose and the upper lip, resulting in a natural, refreshed aesthetic and fuller lips.
Lip Lift procedure
A lip lift procedure can improve lip and smile aesthetics in several ways. First and foremost, it shortens the lip. Younger patients usually have shorter lips that are plump and curvaceous, while older patients frequently have elongated upper lips and tend to lose volume in their lips with advancing age. This elongation and volume loss is a result of maxillary and mandibular bony changes, atrophy of the skin, mucosa, perioral musculature, and parenchymal glandular tissue, as well as attrition of the teeth.
The goal of the Lip Lift Procedure is to shorten the upper lip and evert the vermilion, which results in a more volumized “rolled-out” lip. When measuring the lip from the bottom of the philtrum to the top of the vermilion, excessive length is generally considered more than 20mm.
Who is a Good Candidate?
One of the most common questions people ask is, Who is a candidate for a lip lift? Lip lift surgery is suitable for individuals who:
Desire a more defined and youthful upper lip.
- Have a long upper lip that hides their teeth when smiling.
- Seek to achieve better facial balance and proportion.
- Patients who are seeking to enhance and add a modest amount of volume to the appearance of their lips
- Patients who are looking to widen the colored areas of their lips
- Patients who are looking to minimize signs of age on the lips
- Patients who are looking for lip augmentation solutions that last longer than injectable fillers
How is Lip Lift Surgery Performed?
Now, let’s explore the procedure itself. Lip lift surgery is typically performed as an outpatient procedure, and the steps involved are as follows:
- Anesthesia: Local anesthesia is administered to numb the lip and surrounding areas.
- Incision: A small incision is made at the base of the nose, carefully concealed within the natural contours.
- Tissue Adjustment: The surgeon carefully adjusts and lifts the skin and muscle tissue of the upper lip.
- Suturing: The incision is closed with meticulous sutures.
The entire procedure is completed in a relatively short amount of time, usually under an hour.
Types of Lip Lift Surgery?
- Subnasal Lip Lift: This is the most common type of lip lift surgery. The surgeon makes a small incision just beneath the base of the nose, hidden within the natural crease. They then remove a small amount of skin and tissue to elevate the upper lip.
- Corner Lip Lift: This lip lift focuses on the corners of the mouth. The surgeon makes small incisions at the corners of the mouth and removes excess tissue to lift and reposition the corners upward.
- Gull-Wing Lip Lift: In this technique, the surgeon makes an incision directly along the vermillion border of the upper lip. The surgeon removes a strip of skin and sutures the remaining tissue together to create a lifted lip appearance.
How is the recovery?
The recovery process following a Lip lift is generally smooth and well-tolerated. Patients may experience some swelling and bruising, which typically subsides within a week or two. It’s advisable to avoid strenuous physical activity during the initial days of recovery and follow your surgeon’s post-operative instructions diligently.
Will I Have a Lip Lift Scar?
One of the primary concerns individuals have is the presence of scars following a Lip Lift. The good news is that when performed by a skilled surgeon, lip lift scars are often minimal and well-concealed within the natural contours of the nose. Over time, they tend to fade and become virtually imperceptible.
How Much Does a Lip Lift Cost?
Cost considerations are an important part of any cosmetic procedure. The cost of Lip Lift surgery can vary depending on several factors, including the surgeon’s expertise, geographic location, and any additional procedures performed in conjunction with the lip lift. On average, lip lift surgery can range from $2,000 to $4,000 or more.
Non-Surgical Lip Enhancement
For those who prefer non-surgical options, non-surgical lip enhancements are available. These procedures involve the use of dermal filler injections, such as hyaluronic acid-based fillers, to augment and shape the lips. Non-surgical lip enhancements are a convenient choice for those looking for temporary results without the downtime associated with surgery.
In my practice, I’ve witnessed the transformative power of Lip lift surgery. The smiles of my patients have brightened not just with their enhanced lips, but with newfound confidence and self-assuredness. It’s crucial to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in lip lift procedures to ensure you receive the best care and achieve the desired results.
Lip lift surgery offers a customized approach to facial rejuvenation, enhancing your natural beauty while preserving the unique characteristics of your smile. Whether you choose surgical or non-surgical options, the journey to a more vibrant, youthful appearance begins with a consultation. So, take that first step towards unlocking your radiant smile, and let your confidence shine through.
START A VIRTUAL CONSULTATION
A virtual consultation is when you send us photos of the places of your body where you’d like to improve. Then our surgeon analyzes it to confirm that you are a candidate for that particular procedure. We later inform you about our doctor’s decision and give you a quote with all the information about your surgery. Please, do be at ease that everything is confidential between yourself, the doctor, and the doctor’s representative.